Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Mikkel Edward Deal - 11 January 1990

Happy birthday to my first-born. Mikkel, you are one of the apples of my eye (I have five others, you know). I remember how badly I wanted you to join our family... until labor really got going and the pain got so bad, I decided I didn't want a baby anymore. Dad kept reminding me how happy I was to have a baby until I finally yelled "Well, I changed my mind!". Then, of course, the epidural kicked in and I remembered that yes, I truly was excited for you to be a part of our lives.

I thought I knew a lot about caring for babies. I was more prepared than your average first-time parent, but no matter how many foster babies we had it was not the same as being the only mom 24/7. I made lots of mistakes and you have definitely been our "guinea pig" child. I'm very impressed how you've survived and sometimes even flourished despite all the things we've had to learn on the job.

I'm so pleased with the man you've become. You're a great example to everyone around you, even to people you don't know. Every chance I get I'm telling anyone who'll listen about your mission and all that's involved. I know you don't think it's a big deal but there really aren't too many people who are willing to take two years away from their lives and dedicate themselves completely to the Lord's work. Even people who are older and have no kids at home, no debt and plenty of time/money have a very hard time making the commitment you've so willingly made.

Being a parent is truly not for wimps... there are times I've felt completely unprepared and the wrong one for this job; but it's all worth it and I wouldn't have it any other way. I love you and can't wait to hold you in my arms again in just 58 more days.

I hope you've had a great birthday and many more to come.

No comments: