Sunday, March 21, 2010

Missionaries and Stuff


Photo


Vista del Pico de Orizaba

Pico Orizaba


So, apparently Dad and Georgia actually read this blog because when Fred talked to them today they said they miss reading my posts. So, on the record... I emailed you guys last :)!

It's hard for me to keep this up because I never know if anyone even reads it. Soooo, if you read, leave comments so I'll feel motivated to write stuff for you. Thanks AnneMarie :)

Okay, I'm done lecturing. On the mission front, Mikkel is on a month long email "fast". I don't know if it's been a problem in the mission or if President Hansen is trying to help them appreciate it more or what, but Mikkel will be spending more time doing service on p-days and not emailing us until April 5 (two weeks away :[ ) and I'm really missing him! He's serving in a town called Mendoza which is in a valley of the tallest mountains in Mexico. He's gone from Temezcal (Steambath) - hot, humid and sleeping in a hammock without blankets to drier, cooler and needing a mattress and two blankets to stay warm at night (notice I said drier... not dry. It's still Mexico jungle so humidity is always there. And, the blankets are the thin cottony kind... not big heavy things so he's not freezing or anything!) When he told us about his area, I immediately looked it up on the internet only to find there's about 9 different places in Mexico with that name. Fred looked up the mountain - Pico Orizaba, it's elevation is over 18,000 feet. It's the third tallest mountain in North America, there's a glacier up near the top and it always has snow on it's peak - even in summer!

We have 7 missionaries now... Fred's two cousins are in California and Uruguay, Mikkel in Mexico, My nephews in Canada and Germany, then Dad and Georgia in South Africa.

Oh! I've made one more step towards completely becoming my mom. I was called as assistant ward camp director today. I think the biggest thing I'm lacking now is the cake decorating thing. Maybe when Daniel goes to kindergarten...

5 comments:

AnneMarie said...

Congrats on the camp thing! Now Fred will have to take his vacation while you go to camp!

Just US said...

I LOVE reading your blog! Chrissy and I were talking about how we feel we have gotten to know you and your family so much just by reading what you write. It is much more enjoyable than tackling you and stealing your earrings - for which I am still REALLY sorry! :)

Nanette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nanette said...

I only vaguely remember you stealing my earrings Melissa but I'm glad you feel remorse! :)

As for camp AM, I have babysitters for pretty much the whole time so we should be good!

Rusty & Georgia Henrichsen said...

Well, when you take little pieces of junk and convert them into camp craft projects, you will be there

Dad