Sunday, June 19, 2011

For the Men in My Life - Father's Day 2011

One night last week at girls camp, our bishop came up and taught an amazing lesson. He spoke about men of honor.

First he asked us what we thought it meant to be a man of honor. Among the answers were: chivalrous, hard-working, someone who desires to use his priesthood wisely, loving, kind, brave, someone who aspires to be a great husband and father... and the list went on. He then spoke about how we as women can inspire the men in our lives to be men of honor - basically by being women of honor.

As he was speaking, I started thinking about the men in my life; a dad who taught me all about how a man should be, is a great example to my family and others, a man who sacrificed so much to be there for me - always - I don't remember a single performance he didn't attend, taught me how to work, who loves me and is pleased with the woman I have become. A son who served an honorable mission; putting off school, girls, friends and being able to make money for two years so he could share the gospel with people in Mexico, who was a great example to the rest of my kids and all he knows. A father-in-law who was willing to listen to 2 young men, was brave enough to become the first in his family to join the church and raised my husband to be an honorable man. Brothers-in-law who, living or not, inspire me to be a better, kinder person.

And, of course a husband who tries so hard to be a great husband and father, works many hours to provide so well for my family, puts up with a CRAZY wife (sometimes, at least), fulfills his callings with so much preparation, prayer and true concern for those he teaches, studies how to be a better father and works to implement all the principles he learns, who will get up in the middle of the night and give one of our children, or someone else's sick or injured child, a priesthood blessing, who loves the crazy life we have and wakes up every morning ready for a new adventure, who is an amazing handyman and saves our family tons by being tenacious enough to fix things around the house/cars - even when he doesn't know how (he buys a book or looks it up on the internet and learns), a man who knows the Lord loves us and trusts in Him - even when things are scary or hard, who sometimes doesn't get appreciated enough - at work or at home, a man who is perfect for me in every way.

To all the men in my life:
Thank you for being a part of me - whichever way you are - thanks. You've helped me want to be a woman of honor and continue to show me, and my children how to be a man of honor.

2 comments:

AnneMarie said...

**LIKE**

Rusty & Georgia Henrichsen said...

Thanks for the insight and the compliments

Love,

Dad