Sunday, April 12, 2009

Gardening

Well, we finally got our garden planted. We're growing jalapenos, cucumbers, peas, sweet yellow peppers, cilantro, Italian parsley, basil, tomatoes (roma and grape), sunflowers and miniature sweet red/orange/yellow pepper mix. We'll have everything we need to make my favorite foods - Mexican and Italian - YUM! This year we decided to grow our tomatoes upside-down so my handyman (aka hubby) quickly built me a trellis. Yes, it's the "topsy-turvy" version of tomatoes! Actually, I bought a more stout one from my favorite gardening catalog but it's the same idea as the tv infomercial.

Mikkel is leaving for Mexico in 22 days and can't wait to get started. He told us the other day that he found out that he'll get to baptize in the ocean, rivers or ponds (that would have crocodiles in them.) Not the information a mom needs to hear! He also said he'd be bathing and doing laundry in 50 gallon drums (maybe at the same time even!) which I actually knew about but he didn't I guess. He's so excited and just doing great. In the MTC they take the calls from people who see the commercials and want to know more about our church. He took one from someone last week and started teaching her about prophets and our core beliefs, then he committed her to attend church today. He gets to call her back Tuesday to see if she went and what she thought about it. He also taught his first all Spanish lesson Friday so I'm excited to see how he did. The only time they don't hear exclusively Spanish is at mealtime so it's pretty much immersion. Speaking of mealtime, he ran into a couple from Arizona who are on their way to Germany. They started talking to him and told him to remember to write his mother and suddenly he realized he was talking to the Despains (from the old 9th ward). They see each other practically every day at the cafeteria... kinda cool.

Last night Abigail came into our room screaming that she was going to "spill" (that's the kids' word for throw-up). She promptly did and went straight to bed. This morning though, I was feeling horrible so she and I ended up staying home from church. That wouldn't have been so bad but I've missed church (due to the kids and my own illnesses) three out of the past four weeks (and the other week was conference)! Fred mentioned that we never expected to be inactive from following the counsel to have more children but that seems like the case when you have everyone getting sick all the time! Well, maybe we'll all be better next week. If not, maybe I won't be sick and since it's not the 4th Sunday, Fred can stay home.

Me - "What should we plant in our garden?"
Abigail - "How about chickies?!?" (chicken nuggets)
Jacob - "How about bunnies?!?"
Abigail - "I want to plant dirt too!!"
(At this point I almost drove off the road I was laughing so hard!)

1 comment:

AnneMarie said...

The dirt should be easy...